Please join us with friends, families and coworkers in commemorating International Family Drug Support Day (IFDSD) 2018 with our global partners across the miles.
The 1st National Family Drug Support Day (IFDSD) was held on February 24, 2016–the anniversary of the passing of our good friend Tony Trimingham’s beloved son Damien from a drug related overdose. Tony, the founder of Australia’s Family Drug Support, partnered with FSDP to bring IFDSD to the United States in 2017 and the day has now become an annual international event to highlight the need for families like ours to not only be recognized and heard but to be supported and encouraged to speak about their concerns and their needs.
Thanks to all of the amazing participants who came out strong to make last years event a huge success! We are excited to unite old friends and welcome new ones, as we invite everyone to host a gathering—large or small–and raise awareness in your communities. Watch and share this important video about IFDSD with a heartfelt message by Tony.
THIS YEAR’S THEME IS #SUPPORTTHEFAMILYIMPROVETHE OUTCOME
The objectives of IFDSD are to:
- Reduce stigma and discrimination for families and drug users
- Promote family drug support services for families and friends
- Promote harm reduction strategies for families and friends
In addition, the following issues will be highlighted:
- The important role of FDS and FSDP volunteers in providing family support in the US, Australia, and the world
- Reducing fatal and nonfatal overdoses from drugs including pharmaceuticals
- Promoting the widespread availability of naloxone
- Promote greater inclusion of family members in the decision making process for families experiencing problematic drug use
- Promoting greater support and resources for treatment services for those who want it and need it
HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR EVENT:
- Be an ambassador for change in your neighborhood by raising awareness within your community
- Request to meet with your local schools, doctors, political representatives, law enforcement and clergy and we will provide you with a tool kit and promotional materials to support you in your advocacy. Talking points for communicating with the public are here.
- Invite friends, family or coworkers to share an informal gathering over food or coffee to share discussion and voice the issues.
- Call your local state and federal legislators. To locate your US representative click here. Talking points for communicating with the legislators are here.
- Host a harm reduction workshop
- Invite stakeholders to participate in a naloxone training
- Promote IFDSD on social media: #SupportTheFamilyImproveTheOutcome
All participants will receive a personal event page that will showcase your organization and identify you as a supporter of this important event.
We welcome your ideas so please feel to be as creative as you like. For more information of to forward your ideas please contact Barry Lessin email@example.com or Carol Katz Beyer firstname.lastname@example.org
Your tax-deductible gift will directly help fund our community-based events and reach more people to reduce stigma and discrimination for impacted families, promote better access to treatment and drug support services and encourage wider distribution of naloxone that will reduce fatal and non fatal drug overdoses.
Your tax-deductible gift no matter how big or small will help us to forge ahead and change the way our policies and society interact with our families.